Have you come across iron that leaks, burns, or even quit working after a short while? Worse still, they tend to be expensive! As a fabric designer, ironing and quilting is the order of the day hence the need for the best iron for quilting. Besides, no client will pay for a wrinkled garment.
Apart from having fun in choosing through various fabrics and colors, a top-quality iron is essential. The perfect iron will take away the frustrations and make you enjoy even tough and long quilting projects.
Well, this is your lucky day! Herein is a long list of the best iron for quilting 2021. In this distinctive top-selection, you will find;
- Irons that will work with or without steam
- Lightweight to avoid straining your arm
- Heat fully in the shortest period
Moreover, there’s also a buying guide to help you focus on the crucial features for an ideal selection.
Let’s get started!
The Top 20 Reviews for Best Iron for Quilting
By far, this is the best iron for quilting and sewing fabrics.
1. Unprecedented pressure: It has 5 bars of force sufficient to remove wrinkles and smoothen and shape all types of fabrics.
2. Sturdy construction: The micro steam features a 400 Stainless Steel Soleplate that is resilient against rusts and stains. Still, it comes with a long enough power cord of 1.9 meters.
3. High powered steam: Just by a simple trigger of the powerful steam, ironing becomes faster and effortless. Besides, the steam output delivers 80 grams per minute and overall energy of 1800 watts.
4. Extra-large tank: Besides being extra-large, it is also transparent and removable, holding 47oz of water. Better yet, it allows continuous ironing for as long as 1.5 hours.
- Continuous ironing
- Energy saving
- Red light blinks even when the tank is full.
Even though it uses less energy, it still gets the job done.
- Rotary trigger: This is ideal for all users who use either left or right hand while ironing. Better yet, it is easy to reach and trigger, allowing you to iron effortlessly without pausing to activate anything.
- Anti-calcium system: It features an integrated scale and reduces calcium build-up around the steam ports to ensure the iron lasts longer.
- Auto-shutoff: It stops the iron after 8 minutes of inactivity on the heel and after 30 seconds when it’s on the soleplate or the side.
- User-friendly: It can produce vertical steam for hanging garments. The grip is soft to touch and works perfectly even with tap water and an anti-drip system.
- Easy to use
- Constant turning on
If you want a cost-effective yet best-rated iron in the market, this is it! Why so?
- Sturdy construction: It is not just lightweight with 3.4 pounds, but also comes with a sizable water tank that holds enough water to iron several garments. Also, the stainless steel soleplate is both durable and offers smooth gliding even in hard-to-reach areas.
- Sufficient steam: Over 400 holes and 35g/min offers ideal steam distribution that ensures complete ironing of your garment as you desire.
- Control thermostat knob: It is easy to reach and control, allowing you to set an appropriate steam output to match the type of fabric.
- Automatic shutoff: A 3-way automatic shutoff prevents accidents caused by leaving the iron without using it for an extended time. Also, an anti-drip system ensures the water does not leak from the iron.
- Self-cleaning: It features a self-cleaning system that flushes out any dirt build-up in the 400 holes, as well as an anti-calc system to ensure the soleplate lasts longer with no calcium deposits.
- · Safe to use
- · Self-cleaning
- · Easy to use
- · Sturdy build
- · Powerful
- · Energy saving
- · Filling water can be a challenge.
This best iron for quilting makes the best choice for hobbyists or experts in producing the best steam for different fabrics. Read on.
Steam burst and control: The inbuilt steam generator offers an unrivaled powerful double steam output of high 210g/min and average 100g/min. Also, the steam distribution on the entire surface is impressive due to the 400 holes.
- The spray trigger will help you focus on any stubborn crease to unfold immediately, while the dial beneath the handle allows you to adjust the intensity of the steam. Remarkably, you can also disable the steam function to use the dry iron for specific fabrics.
- The large stainless soleplate: This does not only offer smooth ironing strokes but also comes with a tapered tip for hard-to-reach areas. Better still, the soleplate is durable and easy to clean, and the large surface area covers a large part for faster ironing.
- Safety first: The auto-shutoff will prevent any accidents of leaving an inactive iron, whether placed on the soleplate or left lying sideways. It provides 8 minutes and 30 seconds auto-shutoff, respectively.
- Easy to use: An LED display allows you to set the desired temperature for any fabric you have conveniently. The weight of 3.85 pounds is manageable to add pressure when ironing and not strain the arms. Still, intelligent steam sensors turn off steam when the iron is not moving.
- · Digital LED display
- · Safe and easy to use
- · Durable
- · Easy to maintain
- · Powerful steam output
- · Smart steam sensors
- Poor location of the temperature change dial
As you are looking for the best small iron that easily fits into your suitcase or toolbox yet practical, the Rowenta First Class is your best shot.
- Lightweight for travel: Weighing just 1.5 pounds adds less weight to your travel bag. Also, the collapsible handle allows it to fit entirely, including the cable and everything into the carrier bag. However, ensure you have a hot iron caddy to pack even while it’s still hot.
- The stainless soleplate: The soleplate offers a smooth gliding over the fabric when ironing. Moreover, it is easy to clean if you stain it, and the steel is resilient to serve a more extended period. Apart from the pointed tip that allows ironing around corners and buttons, the soleplate has 200 steam holes. This is adequate for a small iron.
- Water tank: A 2-ounce water tank capacity is sufficient for a travel iron to polish seams and freshen garments when ironing. Better yet, it is not just transparent to see the water level. Filling it up is also accessible by just lifting the water cap on the handle.
- Collapsible handle and ergonomic design: As a prominent feature in this iron for travel, it also allows enough space from the temperature dials for proper grip. The steam button is easy to reach with your thumb on top of the handle. Conversely, it is easy to hold when ironing hanging garments.
- · Lightweight
- · Ergonomic
- · Collapsible handle
- · Solid and durable
- · Easy to maintain
- · High performance
- · Plastic handle prone to breakage
Are you looking for an endless supply of delicate and even outflow of steam? This is not just your best iron for quilting, but it also features a steamer and purifier for garments providing a 3in1 complete package.
1. Portable: This is the miniature footprint version that is ready to go with you whenever. Besides, the top handle allows you to carry it with much ease and convenience as the cord rests fixed not to trip you to a fall.
2. Clean steam: Apart from the moisture being efficient in ironing out tough creases, it also provides hygiene in garments. This way, it kills 99.9% of bacteria, dust mites, fungi, and viruses present on the fabric, ensuring they don’t spread.
3. Modern, efficient technology: The 3D aluminum soleplate evenly distributes steam on the complete fabric for a faster, easier, and professional finish.
4. Ergonomic: Both right and left-handed people can use the iron with much ease. Still, the rubber-ribbed handle ensures a proper grip for as long as you are using it.
- 3in1 efficiency
- Easy to hold and use
- Hygiene purpose
- Impressive design
- The steam cord is heavy and gets in the way when moving the iron.
For someone serious and thorough in quilting, this is the best iron for your projects. Thanks to the change in times, you can now have the best ironing experience with Oliso Pro TG1600. Why so?
- Water Tank: The 12.7 oz. water tank allows you to refill from the side easily. Preferably, it would be best to add water to the middle fill for proper functionality.
- Design: Remarkably, it comes with a 12 feet cord which is sufficient length. Also, it has a 360 degrees pivot which makes it easier and faster to iron your garments without repositioning your ironing board. Better yet, you don’t need a bulky extension to find the perfect angle to stand while pressing your clothes.
- Safety: For you to avoid several fire accidents from irons, this iron has an auto-shutoff of 30 minutes. Still, the soleplate maintains heat for some time, even after the auto-shutoff, to enable you to continue pressing. Moreover, the hi-tech handle allows you to avoid accidents because when you remove your hand, the soleplate lifts from the garment.
- Tripleplay Xtremesteam and Pro-Press soleplate: This provides a powerful burst of steam to remove even the stubborn creases and wrinkles on any fabric.
- · Easy refill
- · Convenient design
- · Safe to use
- · Powerful performance
- · Ergonomic
- · Slightly heavy
With the new world era of technology, intelligent irons rule with convenience, safety, and performance. If you are looking to buy something affordable and easier on your arms in this category, Oliso TG1050 is your destination. What’s more?
- Itouch Technology: With just the touch of your hand, the scorch guards lowers to begin ironing and lifts when you take off your hands after you are through ironing. This way, it prevents scorching, burning, and tipping.
- Stainless Steel Soleplate: This soleplate is extra thick to offer heat retention and a smooth glide finish on the garment. Also, it has lots of steam holes to allow consistent water flow vertically or horizontally when ironing all wrinkles on different clothes. Besides, it is tough and easy to clean.
- 1600 Watts of Power and Auto Shut Off: It provides deep and quick penetrating heat to allow effortless OnePass pressing. Furthermore, it shuts off automatically to uphold safety measures; that is, 8 minutes upright and 30 seconds when lying on the side.
- Water tank: The refill process is accessible from the side and holds 12.7 ounces of water
- · Durable
- · Easy to maintain
- · Safe and convenient
- · Effortless side refill
- · Powerful and energy-saving
- · Detailer Tip
- · Water leaks from the tank
This is another smart option of Oliso iron for quilting that comes with unique features. Read on.
- Stainless Steel Soleplate: This is somewhat different from the rest in that it consists of a chromium finish which adds to durability and scratch-resistant. Also, the soleplate has expanded steam holes that provide a consistent and efficient flow of steam.
- 1800 Watts of Power: You don’t have to wait for a lifetime for your iron to heat, thanks to this best iron for quilting. It offers 1800 watts of power which speeds up the heating to ensure you finish ironing even a large load of garments quickly in single passes.
- Auto Shut-Off: There’s no need to worry when you leave your iron on and attend to another task. The auto-shutoff allows the iron to go off in 8 minutes when you leave it standing and 30 seconds if knocked off or left side-lying.
- Tripleplay Xtremesteam and 2” Detailer Tip: It provides three settings and three steam levels for continuous, vertical, and horizontal bursts in low, medium, and high. Besides, the detailer tip quickly gets in-between pleats, pockets, and layers of fabric for perfect ironing.
- Itouch Technology: This lowers and lifts the scorch guards when you want to start or stop ironing. It is a unique way of preventing accidents from hot irons.
· Energy saving
· Powerful steam performance
· Safety first
· Durable and scratch-resistant
· Noisy auto-lift
Apart from being a product of a renowned brand, this iron is powerful, has an advanced structure, and is comfortable to hold. Without a doubt, it qualifies to be on this top selection of the best iron for quilting 2021.
- Titanium-Infused Soleplate: With titanium as part of the structure, rest assured of durability and high performance. Better still, the soleplate has about 400 steam holes that deliver advanced steam performance to remove all types of stains. Also, it has a temperature control swivel that opens up to allow easy access to the water tank.
- Retractable Cord: Remarkably, by just pressing the button, the 8ft cord winds up quickly to allow easy and convenient storage. Also, it is easy to use as it also extends as fast.
- Electronic Temperature Control: The fabric guide has an illuminated control allowing the iron to set the temperature accordingly. This way, there’s no room for guesswork to avoid burning or taking too long working on a garment.
- Precise Control: A quick slide allows the unique adjustable steam lever to move from steam to full power. Also, the handle is sleek and textured to provide you with comfort and control for as long as you desire.
· Premium design
· Easy to use
· Convenient storage
· Precise control
· The light remains on even if it’s not heating.
Working without the cord provides you with so much freedom to iron your clothes from wherever you want. Thanks to this fantastic feature and more as below, of Panasonic Cordless steam iron for quilting.
- Cordless: Most times, the power cord gets in the way when working by twisting and tangling. This makes it challenging to keep stopping your workload from straightening and placing it out of the way, not to mention it can make your trip and fall. However, this is not the case with this best iron for quilting as it is cordless. It allows you to iron from any position without pausing for anything freely.
- Every Direction: The sleek soleplate is not only contoured but also offers 360° of performance. Besides, the double-tipped freestyle soleplate provides easy, precise, and swift movement in any direction.
- Curved Stainless Steel Soleplate: The curved shape of the soleplate ensures easy movement without wrinkling or tugging on your garment. Also, stainless steel is not just durable but easy to clean as well.
- Heat, Steam, and Dry Settings: Using the button, you can choose to use dry, steam, or heat functions to match the type of fabric you have. The steam feature also offers vertical steam jets that instantly remove the wrinkles on hanging garments.
- Portable: It comes with a lightweight carrying case that rests firmly on the iron and powerbase. Better yet, it’s a perfect way to store your iron after use. with the detachable water tank, you can quickly fill the water and clean it as well.
· All-direction speedy performance
· Convenient settings
· Strong and non-stick
· Detachable water tank
· Tip not pointed for hard-to-reach areas
This iron provides you with all the control you need over steam and temperature to work on different fabrics. What’s more?
- Stainless Steel Soleplate: With the comfortable grip handle, you can smoothly glide over fabric to remove the wrinkles and creases instantly. Also, the soleplate is anti-scratch, making it easy to maintain, not to mention durable.
- Steam Rate: You can customize the digital settings to allow you to set the correct amount of steam to blast away the wrinkles according to the type of fabric.
- Digital Temperature Control: Thanks to the clear LCD screen, you can easily set your preferred steam settings separately. Besides, the screen will flash ‘READY’ when the iron is hot according to the selected temperature.
- Automatic Shutoff: Remarkably, this iron gives you peace of mind when you leave it on or knock it down. It shuts off automatically when not active after 30 seconds when lying on the side or 8 minutes when standing.
- · Safe to use
- · Comfortable
- · Easy to maintain
- · Durable
- · Digital variable controls
- · Poor location of steam adjustment
Even on a strict budget, you want something practical with other unique features; you can never go wrong with this best quilting iron.
- SmartSteam Technology: This technology streamlines controls by regulating the amount of steam released according to the temperature setting. This way, rest assured of optimal results without any mishaps and wrinkles left untouched.
- 3-Way Auto Shutoff: It works on a motion-sensitive technology that automatically shuts off the iron when it is inactive. You can leave it dormant when it is on its heel, side, or soleplate without worrying about any accidents.
- TrueGlide Nonstick Soleplate: The non-stick soleplate will smoothly glide over any type of fabric, allowing easy use and control. This way, you can finish ironing a pile of garments in no time. Besides, the handle is comfortable to hold, and the iron is not heavy.
- Spray Mist: Deep wrinkles tend to be stubborn when dry, but this push-button mister will quickly moisten the fabric and straighten out all wrinkles and creases.
- · Long and pivot cord
- · Comfortable
- · Safe to use
- · Smooth and effective performance
- · Convenient
- · It leaks
This is nothing like the usual irons due to the pressure of about 100 pounds it delivers to ensure a wider pressing surface.
- Adjustable Heat and Steam Settings: By pressing the buttons, you can easily adjust the setting of the steam and heat to suit the type of fabric you have. Luckily, it covers works on a wide range of materials from nylon to linen.
- Steam Press Alarm: The auto-shutoff feature is an electronic alarm that goes off after every 10 seconds of inactivity. This way, it reminds you to lift the handle to avoid fabrics overstaying on the heating plate.
- Portable: All you need to do is lock the handle, and you can travel anywhere with this lightweight pressing iron. The grip is comfortable to hold as you move it from one location to the other. Also, it comes with accessories like a spray bottle, measuring cup, and pressing cushion.
- · Large surface area
- · Easily adjustable settings
- · Lightweight and Portable
- · Convenient accessories
- · Comfortable
- · Safe to use with alarm
- · Not foldable hence not easy to store
This is a perfect definition of small but mighty. Without a doubt, it’s the best small iron that will blast away every crease and wrinkle from your garment. Read on.
- Quick Heat-up Time: It offers 420 watts of power to heat 1.4-ounce in about 15 seconds quickly. Also, the 1-touch steam control has three adjustable temperature settings for different fabrics.
- Sanitize with Steam: When used accordingly, the steam from this iron can sanitize the germs and bacteria on the fabric.
- Convenient Reach: It has an anti-slip handle that provides adequate grip for a comfortable, lasting hold. Still, the 7.5ft power cord is long enough for easy and manageable reach.
- Dual Voltage Convenience: If you want to travel, you can choose freely between 100 and 240 volts. Better yet, it comes with a travel bag for proper storage and portability, not to mention a plastic measuring cup for your convenience.
- · Light and portable
- · Adjustable settings
- · Hygienic steam
- · Easy to reach
- · Comfortable grip
- · Dual voltage performance
- It has no auto-shutoff
This is among the pro irons in the market that will kick all wrinkles out of your garment instantly. Apart from ensuring you don’t see any more wrinkles; this will be your new best friend. 1700 watts, 3-way auto shutoff, and temperature, among other notable features, are what you get.
- Ultra-press Stainless Steel Soleplate: It has thick chromium that is durable, retains heat, and offers smooth glide over the fabric.
- Easy Thermostat Control and Axial Steam Holes: You can easily maintain favorable temperature and proper steam flow based on the type of fabric you have. Also, the alignment of the axial steam holes will give you high steam output and even heat distribution on the soleplate.
- Speedy Ironing: A combination of the Rapid Heat Technology and 1700 watts, you can glide quickly through garments with no time. Better yet, the PurSteam steam can work on all types of fabric, including cotton, linen, nylon, polyester, wool, and silk.
- Safety features: The 3-way auto shutoff avoids accidents and burns, while the anti-drip system will prevent water dripping even when the iron is not working. Still, the anti-calc ensures no build-up of calcium on the soleplate.
- · Durable
- · Safe
- · Powerful
- · Self-cleaning
- · Adjustable heat and steam
· Large and complex to read rotating temperature dial
This is ideal for small projects when you have few pieces and need control. Remarkably, it allows you to see what you are ironing. Read on.
- Stand: It comes with a stand with rubber feet for stability and anti-slip. Also, the frame has a metal holder that firmly grasps the mini iron in position when not working or in storage.
- Head: The small head is ideal for tight and hard-to-reach spots. This works best for unique projects that require special ironing techniques. Besides, it has an easy-glide soleplate for better performance on the fabric.
- Lightweight: First, it is easy to carry to any location you want because of the 0.204kgs of weight. Also, the light weight allows you to easily control the mini iron the way you want without straining your arm.
4. Slide-switch: It is easy to use with adjustable temperature according to the fabric you have.
- · Lightweight
- · Easy-glide soleplate
- · Adjustable temperature
- · Stable
- · Reaches tight spots
- The cord is heavier than the iron.
This iron is an ideal combination of steam generating and regular iron. See more.
- Sensor Technology: Simply placing your hand on the sensor activates the steam output and releases a constant powerful flow.
- Digital Dial: It features eight adjustable settings to set precise temperature and steam for different fabrics.
- Anodized Aluminium Soleplate: The anodized layer on the soleplate adds protection and durability, making it an anti-scratch. Still, it easily glides, ensuring you don’t spend a lot of time even on heavy loads.
- Auto Shut-Off and Bypass: There’s an 8-minute auto-shutoff with an option to bypass. This means you can step out and still come back to hot and ready-to-use iron.
- Audible warning: You don’t have to guess if your iron is ready with the ideal temperature. Luckily for you, this iron has an audible alarm that will alert you when it is ready. So, go ahead and handle other sewing errands as you wait.
- · Heating alert
- · Safe
- · Digital adjustable settings
- · Sensor easy to use
- · Durable
- Challenge ironing small and tight spots
What Is an Iron for Quilting and Why You Need One
Firstly, quilting is a process where you join two or more layers of fabrics. However, that is not final as you need something to press the joint to achieve a flawless and desired look hence the need for the best iron for quilting. Better yet, you can do that even before attaching the fabric layers.
But why do you especially need iron for quilting?
- Over the regular: While ironing clothes is essential and possible using the standard irons, pressing quilts needs something more. That is why an iron for quilting will be able to make your fabric more presentable by eliminating all unnecessary folds, wrinkles, and creases.
- Effective performance: Undeniably, irons for quilting make your material appear different and impressive from the rest. This is because they work better, even on flimsy fabrics.
- Easy and lightweight: Traditional irons weigh heavier and are complicated to use. However, these new versions are light to avoid straining your back and arms even on heavy projects. Even better, they are easy to use for faster results.
The Different Types of Iron for Quilting
There are varieties of irons that will work best for your personal needs and preferences regarding quilting. Generally, the market has the following types;
Steam: This is the best iron to use for your quilting process. Mostly, people prefer it because of the powerful moisture it produces after heating the water in the inbuilt tank. This steam instantly removes wrinkles and creases. Better yet, most have the option to use it as a dry iron as well.
Corded: They work best in ensuring you have a continuous and efficient supply of heat. This allows you to work endlessly without recharging the heat hence an ideal solution to finish your project at once. Also, there’s a high output of steam to blast away the wrinkles. Remarkably they are plenty and available to suit all budgets.
Cordless: Luckily, you don’t have to worry about a cord getting in the way when working or replacing a faulty cable. This is an easier way to iron from anywhere you want because they are also lightweight. However, they are not as effective for getting rid of wrinkles because the lightweight exerts little pressure for flattening.
Things to Look For In a Good Iron for Quilting
Before cutting into the seams, you need the best iron for quilting to press the folds properly for accuracy. Therefore, to distinguish yourself from someone who is just looking for an ordinary iron, you need to consider the following features;
As observed, a steam iron is ideal for quilting. Therefore, you will need an iron that provides a powerful and steady flow of pressure. A consistent and robust flow of steam pressure will work best in clearing out even the stubborn wrinkles and creases.
Also, you should see the number of steam holes on the soleplate and the type of steam flow. When the steam holes are many, the flow will be more powerful and effective. Better yet, you need to consider if you can iron the cloths in different positions, vertically and horizontally.
Soleplates differ in the irons for quilting. Preferably, you can choose between stainless steel or ceramic. Still, you can have others with titanium-infused soleplates. When checking for a soleplate, you need to check if it glides smoothly and does not stick.
Above all, ensure it is durable and anti-scratch. The soleplate of your choice needs to make your work easier and faster by offering single passes over the garments.
While fabrics are different, the heat settings also differ. Therefore, you need an iron that has adjustable heat settings. These can either be digital or manual. This way, you can set different heat rates to suit the fabric you have for the best results.
Some fabrics are more delicate while others are heavier hence requiring different rates to remove the wrinkles.
Weight is crucial as you don’t want to have a lot of weight to strain your arms like the traditional irons. However, lightweight is not very effective in removing and flattening wrinkles as it does not exert enough pressure. Ideally, average weight is better as it will take it easy on your arms and put sufficient pressure on the wrinkles.
Investing in the best iron for quilting will make your fabric projects more manageable, safer, and faster. Luckily, the above selection provides you with the leading brands in the market with the same and different features.
Even though our top choice is Rowenta DG8520 Perfect Steam Iron, we would like to hear your choice from this review of the best iron for quilting. Therefore, please give us your reason for your ideal choice. We are waiting to hear from you!
Q: What is the best iron to use for quilting?
A: Preferably, a steam iron is better in removing the wrinkles from a garment than a dry iron. Still, you can always use it without water to make it a dry iron.
Q: Do You Need a Portable Mini Steam Iron for Retreats?
A: No matter your mode of transport, a portable mini steam iron is perfect for your sewing retreats. It would be best to get the Rowenta First Class as it is the lightest of all the quilting iron options.
Q: What are the Best Budget Options for Sewers and Hobbyists?
A: While the trim options are affordable, they offer limited space on the soleplate, which can be a drawback. Preferably, it would help if you got an all-purpose iron like the Black and Decker Budget Quilting Iron.
Q: What’s the Best Iron for a Home Seamstress?
A: From our top selection above, Rowenta qualifies as the best iron as it allows both steam and dry heat. Apart from the detailing tip that works even on the tight and hard-to-reach spots, it will last you long.
Q: What’s a Good Choice for Both Left and Right Handed Quilters?
A: The swivel cord is appropriate to work with any hand, left or right. You can find it on the Oliso, Rowenta, and BLACK+DECKER.
Q: Is Smart Technology an Advantage for Quilting and Ironing?A: This is the perfect technology for safety measures, especially for people who tend to forget a lot. Innovative technology minimizes the risk for damage and accidents from the hot iron.