The outcome of a garment design majorly depends on the cutting. Even with the best and sharpest pair of scissors, some cutting tasks in sewing projects are only left for the best rotary cutter- unless you want to spend a prolonged period on the same job with poor results. Why so?
A pair of scissors is perfect for detailed cutouts and tight curves, while a rotary cutter can easily cut through heavy yards of material with precision. Besides, cutting patterns and shapes challenging to manage with scissors becomes effortless using a rotary cutter.
Fortunately, this essential item comes in various designs and sizes to suit different users and tasks. Therefore, this guide provides a detailed buying guide and top reviews of the best rotary cutter in 2021.
8 Best Rotary Cutters
- Because how you hold the rotary cutter matters a lot, the Olfa rotary cutter is ideal for both right and left-handed users. Besides, the handle is ergonomic, making it comfortable to hold.
- The compact design of 45mm is suitable for maneuvering cutting through tight curves and corners.
- While the blade is extremely sharp to cut through 6 layers of fabric, it has a dual-action safety lock, so you can only unlock it to use it. This makes it easy to keep children safe from any risks.
- You can also fit specialty blades into this model, for instance, scallop, wave, and pink edges.
- Moreover, you can cut through different fabrics like upholstery, paper, vinyl, tarp, and fleece.
· Safe to use
· Comfortable to hold
· Easy to use
· Compact and flexible
· Convenient for different blades
· Blade only uses Olfa cutters.
- For a small design of 28mm, this is an easy-to-use rotary cutter. Ideally, this makes it perfect for beginners and DIYers.
- Better still, anyone can use it whether you are left-handed or right-handed due to the minimized cutting effort from the tungsten carbide blade. You can easily control it using the fingertips grips.
- For safety purposes, it has a blade cover that you manually retract when you finish using it. Therefore, it would be best not to leave the blade exposed.
- It is also versatile in use, allowing you to cut craft materials like paper, vinyl, and origami paper. This way, you will help your child with their school projects with much ease.
· Blade cover for safety
· Easy to control
· Versatile on craft projects
· Ideal for left and right-handed users
· Fast and time-saving
· Cannot handle large projects
Do you want the best rotary cutter for dressmaking? Look no further.
- This Fiskars Titanium has a large 60mm blade that easily cuts with precision through various materials. Better still, it can also cut thicker materials like foams, multiple layers, and batting.
- Remarkably, you can assemble this rotary cutter from either side hence ideal for right and left-handed users.
- The blade comes in titanium. This enables three times more added strength and sharpness in performance and durability.
- Thanks to the curved handle, the holding position is natural, so you will not experience any wrist and hand fatigue.
- There’s also a sliding button that is easy to use and conveniently placed to retract and extend the blade for safety.
- Lasting sharpness and durable
· Comfortable handle
· Easy to use
· Large blade for a variety of materials
· It comes with a dull knife.
- For a blade of 45mm, most sewers and crafters find it perfect for their projects because of the incredible depth and maneuverability.
- The titanium-coated blade retains its sharpness for a prolonged period. Also, it is durable; hence you won’t need replacements anytime soon.
- Because you can fit it on either side of the handle, it offers excellent visibility and uses for any user of left and right-hand.
- The easy-to-use thumb control allows the blade to slide out and in the safety shield and lock it into position.
- Also, the loop design and soft grip are specially designed for comfort and natural fit even when working for a long time. Besides, the loop also allows you to retain the cutter in hand as you rearrange the materials.
· Protective shield for safety
· Locks in position
· Flexible and comfortable to hold
· Versatile for all users
· Durable and retains sharpness
· Poor positioning of the thumb control
- This is the best rotary cutter for leather and other thick materials and multiple fabrics, thanks to the 45mm blade.
- Not only does the blade come in an ideal diameter, but it also stays sharp and durable for a lasting period because of the titanium coating.
- It is also easy to use for both right-handed and left-handed users, and assembly is possible from either side, ensuring proper visibility.
- The handle is rubber-soft for comfort, especially when working for a prolonged time.
- Moreover, the curved loop design is for a perfectly natural fit into your hand and provides maximum control when working.
- There’s a thumb button used to retract and extend the blade guard for safety measures.
· Safe to use
· Effortless operation
· Enables control
· Sharp and long-lasting
· Blade skips creating uneven cuts.
- This Fiskars has a 60mm blade that will cut through all types of fabrics and multiple layers as a heavy-duty rotary cutter.
- Its symmetrical design provides total control and comfort, making it easy to achieve precision cuts. Besides, both experts and beginners will find it straightforward to use with either the left or right hand.
- While the durable blade retains its sharpness for a prolonged time, it features a safety guard that extends and retracts. This way, there is no risk of accidents when the blade is not in use.
· Easy to use
· Stays sharp
· Comfortable to hold
· Durable even for large projects
· Somewhat tricky to cut through curves and complex designs
Even though it looks simple, it is also effective for sewing and crafting.
- First, it is comfortable to use. This is because of the soft and cushiony handle.
- The blade is also very sharp and is above the handle for better control.
- There’s also no need for adjustments but just extending the edge to cut across any fabric.
- Also, it is ideal for ambidextrous users hence no need to switch sides to use the dominant hand.
· Better grip
· No adjustments
· Ideal for all fabrics
· Easy and safe to use
· The blade doesn’t last long as expected.
Rare of its kind, Martelli features a large and rounded handle at 90-degrees to the cutter.
- With this design, you can be sure of the best rotary cutter for arthritis and similar conditions because of improved control and ease of use.
- The blade guard is spring-loaded, making it flip back to cover the blade when it is not in use. This way, it is safe to store, especially when you have children around.
- Its ergonomic design also lets you maneuver easily across different fabrics like nylon, cotton, and even cardboard.
- Moreover, the blade is very sharp in that it can cut multiple layers of fabric, leather, upholstery, suede, and thermocol.
· Avoids hand fatigue
· Suitable for special conditions like arthritis
· Sharp blade
· Easy to use
· Complex blade replacement
What Is A Rotary Cutter and Why Do You Need One?
It is a handheld cutting tool that comprises a rotating blade and a handle. Moreover, a rotary cutter can either be manual or automatic.
As a must-have tool for beginners and experts in sewing, it is crucial for the following uses;
· Cuts a sheet of cloth into several small parts
· Cutting out a hole of any size on any fabric
· Slices through upholstery materials for seat covers or table cloths
· Perforates fabrics for quilting or crocheting
· Create decorative cuts using different blades
· Offers sharp and precise cuts with clean edges
· It saves time and energy
With the best rotary cutter and mat for sewing, rest assured of handling your project with much ease.
The Different Types of Rotary Cutters
There are two main types of rotary cutters; manual and electric. Deciding which one is ideal is an important consideration you need to make before you buy.
For instance, manual rotary cutters:
· Easy to store
· Require more effort
· Offer much precision
· Involve less maintenance
Conversely, electric rotary cutters:
· Must have an outlet or batteries
· Work faster
· Finish projects quickly but not accurate
· Require maintenance
· Easily cut through thicker fabrics
How Do You Choose A Rotary Cutter?
Blade size: Usually, the blade diameter is what specifies the rotary cutter. Commonly, there are about four models; 18mm, 28mm, 45mm, and 60mm. Generally, the larger the diameter, the more layers and types of fabrics it can cut. Also, it would be best for beginners to get the 45mm rotary cutters as it cuts several materials and offers excellent maneuverability.
Blade material: Ideally, rotary cutters offer a combination of both tungsten and stainless steel construction. This is because they hardly rust, are tough, and retain sharpness. Conversely, you will also find titanium-coated blades that offer more strength and durability. Better still, they work better in maintaining the edge.
Comfort and safety: Preferably, a soft grip with a solid cover is ideal for providing comfort. This ensures your wrist and hand feel no fatigue when you apply pressure to slice through heavy fabrics. Or better still, you can opt for handles with pivots. Also, a blade guard will help ensure safety from cutting the kids and your fingers.
Blade switch: It would be best to get a rotary cutter with two types of controls. One button should retract or extend the blade while the other should lock it into position. This way, you will work flawlessly without distractions.
Thanks to this detailed review of the best rotary cutter, you will spend little to no effort in finding the ideal choice. Most importantly, you will need to consider what you are cutting for the right purchase.
However, our recommendation would be to pick a 45mm blade size rotary cutter to handle general purposes effectively. Go ahead and be creative!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who makes the best rotary cutter?
A: From the above review, Olfa and Fiskars are the leading brands in making rotary cutters that are reliable, effective, and perfect blades.
Q: Which is better, Olfa or Fiskars rotary cutter?
A: Both brands are ideal and trusted for a long time. Olfa invented rotary cutters with the snap-off blade, while the Fiskars is the oldest brand and still prevailing.
Q: Which rotary blade is best?
A: According to our review, Olfa 45mm Deluxe Rotary Cutter offers the best rotary blade due to its size of 45mm, ergonomic design, and effectiveness.
Q: The best rotary cutter for curves
A: Due to the pivoted handle, the Martelli Ergo Rotary Cutter works magic in cutting curves even a person with arthritis can handle.